B&CE’s Charitable Trust

B&CE’s Charitable Trust was set up in 1991 to help lighten the load of financial strain and hardship for workers and their families in the construction industry.

We aim to provide:

  • Financial help for people in times of need, such as unemployment, poverty, sickness or distress 
  • Grants towards education, training and retraining
  • Grants towards occupational health and safety initiatives

Grants we support include:

  • Rent/mortgage arrears
  • Essential household bills (gas, electricity, water and council tax arrears)
  • Funeral costs
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entry level training construction courses only (we don’t offer grants for NVQ courses)
  • Disability aids

Grants we’re unable to support include:

  • Day-to-day living costs
  • Debt relief orders
  • Individual voluntary arrangement
  • Loans, credit cards or overdrafts fees
  • Car finance, MOT or repairs
  • Carer fees
  • Holidays
  • Clothing
  • Non-essential house maintenance
  • Non-essential white goods
  • Non-essential household items (curtains, wardrobe, etc)

Visit our Charitable Trust website for more about the grants and support we offer.

Last updated on 17 June 2020

Who is eligible?

If you can prove that you’ve worked in construction, as a ‘tradesperson’, for at least 12 months (at any time within your employment history), you could be eligible.

A ‘tradesperson’ is someone who is or has been manually involved in the build of a project. For example:

  • A grounds person working as a civil engineer on a project
  • A labourer working on a site
  • A plant driver working on site as part of a construction build project
  • A painter and decorator
  • A scaffolder

Other examples of tradesperson jobs are listed in the Construction Industry Joint Council agreement.

Our education and training grants in construction

To apply for our education and training grants in construction, you must have been unemployed for at least 3 months and can prove this before we can consider your application. We provide grants for entry level qualifications to help individuals get back into work (eg CSCS card).

Find out more about how we support with education and training in construction.  

How to apply?

Thinking of applying for a grant?

We’ll need you to send us:

  • a completed Charitable Trust application form
  • proof that you work or have worked within construction for at least 12 months
  • a copy of your birth certificate, passport or driving licence
  • the last 3 months’ consecutive bank statements (plus your partner’s accounts, if applicable).

We will also ask for more information, depending on the grant you’re applying for.

How to apply

We treat all our applications on an individual basis, with compassion and confidentiality. You can apply by:

  • clicking the 'Enquire online' button below to enquire on the Turn2us website – please include an email address so we can contact you
  • emailing us at charitabletrust@bandce.co.uk.

We’re available from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday and will aim to respond to you within 5 working days.

Here for when you need us most

We’re here to support you through your times of need. So, whether you have money worries or need counselling, we can help.

You can get in touch with us by calling our Construction Worker Helpline on 0808 8010 372.

Contact details

FAO Charitable Trust, B&CE
Manor Royal
West Sussex
RH10 9QP
Email: charitabletrust@bandce.co.uk
Web: http://www.bandce.co.uk/the-charitable-trust

Anything wrong with this page?

What is wrong with this page?

Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you for letting us know.