B&CE’s Charitable Trust

B&CE’s Charitable Trust was set up in 1991 for the benefit of workers in the construction industry and their families, to help alleviate individual financial strain and hardship.  

The Charitable Trust aims to provide:

  • Financial help for people in times of need, such as unemployment, poverty, sickness or distress 
  • Grants towards education, training and retraining
  • Grants towards occupational health and safety initiatives.
  • Examples of grants we support:
  • Rent/mortgage arrears
  • Council Tax arrears
  • Utility arrears (gas, electricity & water)
  • Funeral costs
  • Bankruptcy
  • Home adaptations or essential house works (replacement windows, carpets, etc)
  • Priority white goods (cooker, fridge freezer, washing machine, etc)
  • Beds (including specialist beds if there is an occupational health need)
  • Entry level training courses only (we do not give grants for NVQ courses)
  • Disability aids
  • Respite breaks.

Grants we are unable to support:

  • Daily living costs, if not currently in arrears
  • Debt relief orders (DRO)
  • Loans, credit cards or overdrafts
  • Car finance, MOT or repairs
  • Carer fees
  • Holidays
  • Clothing
  • Non-essential house maintenance
  • Non-essential white goods
  • Non-essential household items (curtains, wardrobe, etc).

Last updated on 22 October 2019

Who is eligible?

An eligible person is anyone who is able to evidence they have been a construction worker with a minimum of 12 months’ construction employment as a “tradesperson” (at any time within their employment history).

A “tradesperson” is defined as someone who is/has been manually involved in the build of a project. For example:

  • A grounds person working as a civil engineer on a project
  • A labourer working on a site
  • A plant driver working on site as part of a construction build project
  • A painter and decorator
  • A scaffolder
  • Any job description quoted in the Construction Industry Joint Council (CIJC) agreement.

Training grants

For our training grants, you must have been unemployed for at least three months and be able to prove this before we can consider your application. We provide grants for entry level qualifications to get an individual back into work (e.g. CSCS card). 

We do not help with upskilling unless there is a specific need (e.g. long term unemployment or ill health). If there's an occupational health issue, we can help with training for skills to do a new role to help keep you working in the construction industry. 

Support given

Support is only given as one-off grants, we cannot support day-to-day or general living costs. For all successful applicants, funding will be paid direct to the supplier.

Information and documents we will require

In each case we’ll need the following:

  • Completed Charitable Trust application form
  • Proof that you work or have worked within construction for at least 12 months
  • ID (copy of birth certificate, passport or driving license)
  • Last three months’ consecutive bank statements.

We may need more information depending on the grant applied for.

How to apply?

We treat all queries on an individual basis with compassion and confidentiality.

You can apply by:

  • Clicking the 'enquire online' button below to enquire via the Turn2us website
  • Calling us on 0300 2000 600 (Calls may be recorded for training or monitoring purposes)
  • Emailing us at: charitabletrust@bandce.co.uk.

Our offices are open from 9.00 — 17.00 Monday to Friday. We aim to respond to all new enquiries within two working days of receipt.

Contact details

FAO Charitable Trust, B&CE
Manor Royal
West Sussex
RH10 9QP
Telephone: 0300 2000 600
Email: charitabletrust@bandce.co.uk
Web: https://bandce.co.uk/corporate-responsibility/the-charitable-trust/

Anything wrong with this page?

What is wrong with this page?

Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you for letting us know.