NUJ Extra

NUJ Extra is the charity for the National Union of Journalists (NUJ).

Our aim is to help members of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) who, because of sickness, accident or other unforeseen circumstance, need short-term financial assistance. Grants may be given to help with rent/mortgage payments, utility bills, medical equipment, domestic goods and minor home adaptations.

We also help dependents of deceased members, such as widows and orphans.

What we can't help with

We do not pay solicitor's fees or other legal bills. We do not pay for private medicine or private education and would not normally consider someone paying for these to be in need of our help.

See the How can we help you? section of the NUJ Extra website for more information on what the charity can help with.

Last updated on 1 October 2019

Who is eligible?

We may help:

  • Current full members of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ)
  • Former full members of the NUJ who resigned from the union when  they retired or left journalism, for example
  • Dependants of deceased NUJ members, such as widows and orphans.

There are some restrictions:

  • We may only help full members of the NUJ, so we cannot assist you if you are a temporary, student or asylum seeker member
  • Full NUJ members must have paid at least one year's contributions to the NUJ
  • For past members, we must have proof, via the NUJ's records or documentary evidence (old NUJ membership cards, NUJ life membership cards), that the person was a member of the NUJ who had paid their contributions regularly
  • We do not normally assist lapsed members, unless you can provide a reason that satisfies the trustees
  • We help current members facing short-term difficulties only. We cannot subsidise those who are unable to make a living as a journalist.

How to apply?

All applicants must complete an application form and give as much information as possible about income and reserves. We believe our charitable funds should not be used to replace state benefits, so applicants must claim all state benefits to which they are entitled.

To apply, you will need to print off the application form on the NUJ Extra website 

Headland House,
72 Acton Street,
London WC1X 9NB


Before completing the form, please read the How can we help you? section of the NUJ Extra website:

Other information

People who work in the media can join the National Union of Journalists (NUJ). The union provides support such as training for members and legal support. Visit the website for more information:

Contact details

NUJ Extra, Headland House
72 Acton Street

Anything wrong with this page?

What is wrong with this page?

Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you for letting us know.