The Edinburgh Trust

We provide grants to people struggling financially living in the City of Edinburgh.

Our funds are dedicated entirely to helping local people on low incomes.

The Edinburgh Trust could help in several ways:

  • Providing a one-off grant to meet an identified need

  • Completing a welfare benefits check to make sure someone is receiving everything they are entitled to

  • Signposting to other sources of support.

We’ve helped thousands of people across the City of Edinburgh. Many people come to us after having had a difficult time in life such as unemployment, physical or mental illness or other problems.

The grants we give can be used to buy household items such as cookers, washing machines, beds, fridges and carpets. We can also help people meet their essential living and travelling costs and pay bankruptcy fees.

Grants are awarded from one of five sub-funds:

  • Edinburgh Support Fund,

  • John Watson Fund

  • Sir James Steel Fund

  • Trinity Hospital Fund

  • Edinburgh Trust Response Fund


There are some things we can’t help with. These include:

  • Private medical and dental costs

  • Prescription glasses

  • University or school fees

  • Legal fees

  • Loans

  • Business start-up costs or loans

  • Personal debts

  • Funding for full time students.

Last updated on 2 January 2020

Who is eligible?

Eligibility criteria

Applicants must:

  • Live in Edinburgh (within the boundaries of the City of Edinburgh Council local authority area)

  • Have a low (or no) accessible household savings

  • Receive means-tested welfare benefits or earnings that result in an annual household income that is below £16,000.

Funding may be available to applicants from our newly established Edinburgh Trust Response Fund. This Fund is for people who have experienced a significant life event in the past 12 months, who are in need of some financial assistance as a result. There are specific questions relating to this on the Edinburgh Trust application form.

How to apply?

Application process

Applying for help from the Edinburgh Trust should be done by an approved organisation.

This includes:

  • Registered charities

  • Housing  associations and statutory organisations providing social care, health care, or advice services.

The application can be made by a:

  • Support worker

  • Social worker

  • Welfare adviser

  • Debt adviser

  • Health visitor

  • Housing officer

  • Anyone carrying out a similar role to the above, within an organisation.

If you are an intermediary who is registered with Turn2us, you can make a direct online application to the Edinburgh Trust when you are logged into your intermediary account.

If you’d like to discuss an application first to check eligibility or would like to find out more about registering as an intermediary, please contact us on: Telephone: 0131 243 2795 or 0131 243 2796 Email:

Contact details

The Turn2us Edinburgh Trust
Thorn House, 5 Rose Street

Anything wrong with this page?

What is wrong with this page?

Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you for letting us know.