The Injured Jockeys Fund

Grants for working and ex-jockeys who are injured, unable to ride or generally in need, and their partners and children. Applicants must have held a racing licence issued by the BHA (and its predecessors).

The IJF can give regular grants or one-off help for essentials such as temporary accommodation, travel expenses, regular bills, hospital transfers after a jockey is injured.

Last updated on 16 July 2019

Who is eligible?

Jockeys who have suffered through injury, and their families. Applicants must hold (or have held) a racing licence issued by the BHA (and its predecessors).

What we can't help with

  • offer loans or (as we could in the past) provide index-linked mortgages
  • pay for medical procedures that is available on the NHS
  • undertake long term responsibility for the funding of Social care where the individual is entitled to statutory benefits (though, in certain circumstances, we may be able to provide a modest supplement in respect of such statutory provision)
  • offer support when there is no obvious “need” and/or where the beneficiary can reasonably expect support from other sources (such as family or employer)

How to apply?

Phone the charity in the first instance. The charity will need full disclosure of an applicant's financial circumstances. 

Other information

The IJF also runs rehabilitation centres where jockeys can access specialist rehabilitation treatment for physical and neurological injuries. Respite care and educational courses are also available. Visit the website for more information:

Contact details

15 Kings Court
Willie Snaith Road

Anything wrong with this page?

What is wrong with this page?

Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you for letting us know.