INFORMATION TIP - CARE (In the home or in a residential setting)

If you are looking for help with care costs – in the home (sometimes called community care) or in a residential setting such as a care home, help may be available to you from some charitable funds, if you meet the qualifying rules (eligibility criteria) for their help.

They will not be able give you a grant if there is a statutory responsibility to provide the care.

Our Grants Search does not tag charitable fund schemes by keywords such as 'care' or 'paying for care'.

To find charitable funds that may be able to help you, you need to search on all aspects of your circumstances that may be relevant – e.g. occupation (remember to think about the industries you have worked in as well as the jobs you have had), health conditions, nationality – using the filters of the Grants Search once you have done your initial search on postcode, age and gender.

Once you have a list of charitable funds based on your search, check the profiles for information on who they help and what they help with. 

Some charities give grants according to individual need. If the profile doesn’t specifically state that the charity can't help with care costs, it may be worth contacting any charities that match your circumstances and background to ask if they can help.

Your situation: Ill, Injured or have a disability

There is information about the help that may be available to you through benefits in the Your Situation: Ill, Injured or have a disability section and Your Situation: Carer section.

Find an Adviser

You could also seek advice from an advisory service such as Citizens Advice. Our Find an Adviser tool can help you find local services.

Further information on care and care costs

The following organisations and websites can provide information and advice on care and care costs:




Last updated on 5 January 2021

Chat Now