For emergency sources of food, see our Emergency Help Information guide.


We would suggest that you do a benefits check using the Turn2us Benefits Calculator to check you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to.

There are also specific food-related benefits for pregnant people and young children afford health food:

Healthy Start Food Vouchers (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Best Start Foods (Scotland only)

If you have school age children, see Free school meals


Help may be available to you through a grant from a charitable fund, depending on your background, circumstances and needs. You need to meet the charity's eligibility criteria (qualifying rules) for help.

These will not be tagged with keywords such as 'food'.

To find charitable funds that may be able to help you, you need to search using the filters on all aspects of your circumstances that may be relevant – e.g. occupation (remember to think about the industries you have worked in as well as the jobs you have had), health conditions, nationality etc - as well as age, location and gender.

Once you have a list of charitable funds based on your search, check the profiles for information on who they help and what they help with.

Some charities give grants according to individual need. If the profile doesn’t specifically state that the charity can't help people who have experience domestic violence/abuse, it may be worth contacting any charities that match your circumstances and background to ask if they can help.


Last updated on 28 May 2020