Turn2us information: Help with housing costs

Many people use our grants search look for help with housing costs.

This may be help with the rent, mortgage or arrears.  Some people also ask for help with deposits, moving costs or house repairs.


There is information about the help that may be available to you through benefits in our Housing Costs information section


If you are looking for help with housing costs, help may be available to you from some charitable funds, if you meet the qualifying rules (eligibility criteria) for their help.

Our Grants Search does not tag charitable fund schemes by "rent arrears", “mortgage” or “housing costs”.

To find charitable funds that may be able to help you, you need to search on all aspects of your circumstances that may be relevant – e.g. occupation (remember to think about the industries you have worked in as well as the jobs you have had), health conditions, nationality – using the filters of the Grants Search.

Once you have a list of charitable funds based on your search, check the profiles for information on who they help and what they help with. 

Some charities give grants according to individual need. If the profile doesn’t specifically state that the charity can't help with housing costs, it may be worth contacting any charities that match your circumstances and background to ask if they can help.

See also our Information tip: Home repairs, flooring and decorating

Find an Adviser

You could also seek advice from an advisory service such as Citizens Advice. Our Find an Adviser tool can help you find local services.



Last updated on 12 February 2020